Thank you Mark, for clarifying, that in fact, no "hacking" is required
to run Leopard. I have used leopard assist on plenty machines and it
works great.

There is a 128GB limit on that machine. You can install a PCI ATA or
SATA card and plug the hard drive into that to bypass the limit, or
the cheapest easiest alternative is to plug the external hard drive
into a FireWire port on the PowerMac. I have done that and it is
actually faster than the onboard ATA, and you don't have that limit.
Also I'm pretty sure that ANY OS will boot from firewire.

One more option: Pay and download Speed Tools ATA High-Cap driver. It
works, but you will still have to partition the drive into partitions
of no larger than 128GB in size. I have also used this and it will
work great.

The best option in my opinion, is either using FireWire, or a PCI ATA
or SATA card. You will just have to make sure that the card is
bootable. There was just one of those ATA cards on the LEM Swaplist.

-Jonas