"Has the drive been formatted already?
Does it show up in disk utility?"

Yes, It's been formatted by disk Utility and shows up when connected to the native USB1 port on the Quicksilver and also when connected to a cheap USB 1 hub. The new PCI card is a USB 2.1? However, originally I think the drive shipped as a Fat 32? which I erased because I tried to CCC a bootable system on it. That didn't work but I did get a successful back up. I was running OS X 10.3.9 at the time and now I'm on Tiger 10.4.11

        Name :  Iomega E xternal HD Media
        Type :  Disk

        Disk Identifier :       disk1
        Media Name :    Iomega E xternal HD Media
        Media Type :    Generic
        Connection Bus :        USB
        IO Content :    Apple_partition_scheme
        Writable :      Yes
        Ejectable :     Yes
        Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed :    Yes
        Location :      External
        Total Capacity :        931.5 GB (1,000,204,886,016 Bytes)
        S.M.A.R.T. status :     Not Supported
        Disk Number :   1
        Partition Number :      0

The partitions are @ 310 gigs each x 3