In System Profiler the USB Device Tree has much to reveal:Top 2 are native
ports, OHCI compliant USB Bus:
  Host Controller Location:     Built In USB  Host Controller Driver:
AppleUSBOHCI  PCI Device ID:    0x0019  PCI Revision ID:        0x0001  PCI
Vendor ID:  0x106b  Bus Number:     0x18
USB Bus:
  Host Controller Location:     Built In USB  Host Controller Driver:
AppleUSBOHCI  PCI Device ID:    0x0019  PCI Revision ID:        0x0001  PCI
Vendor ID:  0x106b  Bus Number:     0x19
The bottom 3 are the PCI card, although I have 4 ports on it, it shows 3. The
bottom port has a different Device ID 3104 and is indicated as High Speed. The
HS 3104 port indicates a Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI. This info is
taken from the USB entry on left column os Sys. Profil.However, from the PCI
entry of left column, I get 2- 3038 devices withUHControllers and a 3104 entry
with no controller. The AppleUSBEHCI driver is invisible under the PCI Cards
info window. BTW, where did the fourth port go. Actually all 4 external ports
work but at slow speed. I better look inside to see if there is a fifth port.
It still doesn't make sense because System Profiler only sees 3 ports??? Where
would I go looking for an "EHCI" driver?Roman

USB Bus:
  Host Controller Location:     Expansion Slot  Host Controller Driver:
AppleUSBUHCI  PCI Device ID:    0x3038  PCI Revision ID:        0x0061  PCI
Vendor ID:  0x1106  Bus Number:     0x12
USB Bus:
  Host Controller Location:     Expansion Slot  Host Controller Driver:
AppleUSBUHCI  PCI Device ID:    0x3038  PCI Revision ID:        0x0061  PCI
Vendor ID:  0x1106  Bus Number:     0x32
USB High-Speed Bus:
  Host Controller Location:     Expansion Slot  Host Controller Driver:
AppleUSBEHCI  PCI Device ID:    0x3104  PCI Revision ID:        0x0063  PCI
Vendor ID:  0x1106  Bus Number:     0x52

UHCI "And therein may lie your problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_controller_interface
A quick search on Wikipedia turns up this page and especially this comment...

"Universal Host Controller Interface (UHCI) was created by Intel for USB 1.0
(full and low speeds).

Far from being "universal", it is actually proprietary and is incompatible with
OHCI. Intel and VIA controllers generally use UHCI, while other vendors use
OHCI."

Stewie