On 4/28/10 12:06 PM, Herbert Goodfriend wrote:
I bought a PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) DualCore 2.3GHz about six months ago
and started using it two months ago. It came without any wireless
functionality.

I bought the special AirPort/Bluetooth combo card and the Runway card
and the two tiny screws and the charming little plastic rivets. Last
night I connected the antenna wires to the AP/BT card, put all the parts
together, plugged it into the slot, plugged in the power cord, and hit
the power button.

The machine powered on and the fans were spinning, but there was no
startup chime and no further progress toward booting up. After a couple
of minutes, the fans sped up and after waiting a couple of minutes more,
I turned off the machine.

I pulled the card out of the slot, restarted the machine and it booted
up perfectly. Tried two more times, same result.

Finally, I tried booting with the machine open and LED 5 (Open Firmware
indicator) did not come on with the AP-BT card installed, which means
that the CPU is not arriving at the Open Firmware. Without the AP-BT
card, the LED comes on green as it should.

I tried resetting the logic board, first by unplugging for two minutes
and then by pushing the SMU button. This did not help.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I suppose that if all else fails I
can buy a PCI-e wireless card or a USB dongle.

I would do a web search looking to see if there are variations on that AP-BT board. Board designs sometimes change such that they are incompatible with each other and they will only work in their respective computers.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA