On May 6, 2010, at 8:50 AM, John Carmonne wrote:

On May 5, 2010, at 3:49 PM, JOHN CARMONNE wrote:

On May 5, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

On May 5, 2010, at 5:27 PM, JOHN CARMONNE wrote:

How do I check the firmware?

Look in System Profiler>PCI Cards and highlight the "SeriTek/1V4" card entry and look underneath at what is says for "ROM Revision".

Also how is it updated if need be?

<http://www.firmtek.com/download/>

My card has 5.3.1.1 which I believe is the version you should also have. Here's a download link:

<http://www.firmtek.com/download/SeriTek1V4_5.3.1.zip>

Thanks Kris, I have "5.1.3 1V" Next catch 22 problem may be is that Firm Tek says that if I have Leopard that I need the firmware but leave it alone if I've got Tiger, Well you know what I've got to say next. I have both Tiger and leopard on this machine. At the moment I'm transferring a large file via FireWire the the WD drive I guess after it's done I'll try to restart with the drive plugged in and on to see if it mounts.

I wonder what may be wrong here i have an extenal drive WD 1TB drive and I have a Firm Tek card in a G4 MDD Dual 1.25 and a card in a PM G5 Dual 2.7 I can't get the drive to mount on either machine. It mounts fine with the USB and FW 800 ports. Firmware doesn't seem to be an issue. Is there a possiblity of a bad drive? I have no other drives to test with. I have 2 Hitachi 2TB internals in the G5 2.7 on the card and they work properly. Is there a test of some sort for this? I tried to start with the drive on and still it doesn't show. Non of my utilities see the drive either.

Sounds like either a bad Sata controller (or trace on the internal card) in the drive or bad sata cable.

Len