--- On Thu, 5/6/10, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:From: Kris Tilford
<ktilfo...@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Target Disk Mode FireWire has lots of problems
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 8:30 PM

When you describe these problems, it would be nice if you'd post the exact
models of Macs you're using, and the exact OS version you're using. The term
"G4" could describe either a desktop or laptop, and there so so many
combinations of various G4 models and OS versions available for them.
==========
The G4 is a Sawtooth I think, it is 450MHz 576kbRAM, tower all stock PPC and
yes, I am using LepoardAssist which worked just fine.
The Intel is a MacBook that passes all the tests, CMD+S(including DT is ok) and
CMD_V ok, but will not progress past the gear rotating.
The install disk is 10.5 fat.
==========
It's strange that it's asking you to partition the HD. I'm guessing that
perhaps you've got a PPC G4 and an Intel Mac? If that's the case, you're
probably going to have problems. I believe a PPC Mac can actually boot 10.5
Leopard from a GUID partition format rather than the normal Apple partition
format. I also believe that if you're booted on an Intel Mac it will not
install onto an Apple partition format HD, so you'd be required to reformat to
GUID before the installer would work correctly.

Looking at the options in the installer, it has selected the GUID format for an
Intel,

If you're using two PPC Macs, the question would be "why" is the installer
asking you to "partition" the HD unless it's detecting that it's perceived as a
"wrong" partition format? If you only "erased" the HD rather than "partitioned"
the HD, the original format should still be correct, so the installer shouldn't
warn you unless it's an Intel/PPC thing.
=========
Strangely, it would not allow me to initalize the hd and I attempted to see the
contents and it did load a folder on the G4, but nothing appears, so I tried to
copy the bad 236Mb disk to my big USB 500Mb hd and it would do nothing - no
effort to copy anything.
=========
Since your much smarter than me, what is this thing called GUID? GUID partition
format rather than the normal Apple partition format, Looking at the partition
map, it is showing something less than 1 partition, why?

As a final issue, I suppose the issue is to get both Intel computers working in
the FireWire and then the install should work BUT, keep in mind the problem we
are attempting to work around is that the DVD drive in the Intel keeps spitting
out the install disk WHY?
JML