On May 22, 1:15 pm, Peter Haas <peterh...@cruzio.com> wrote:

> I also used the patch from OWC in order to transplant Yikes! G4
> processors to two of my B&W G3s. The Yikes! processors came from LEM.
> No loss of speed (reduction in bus speed from 100 MHz to 66 MHz) when
> using Yikes! processors.

you cannot trust the Apple System Profiler to give an accurate measure
of the either the bus speed or the CPU speed when a G4 is installed in
a pre-Altivec computer.  back in the late Jurassic, i had a m...@box
G4/400 upgrade running in an 8500.  the utility supplied by m...@box
correctly displayed system info related to CPU and mobo, while the
Apple System Profiler did NOT!  iirc, the Apple System Profiler
reported clockspeeds that were WAY too high, higher than the m...@box
specs and specs for the Tsunami mobo, so i don't think m...@box had any
reason to lie about the ASP inaccuracy.

> Alas, although by two B&Ws now were effectively G4s, and could use
> the then-new (to me) applications which required a G4, the G4-ed B&Ws
> proved to be too slow for my needs,

which circumstantially "proves" my point.  i doubt that they were
running at their rated speeds.  i have one of the powerlogix G3/1gig
processors in a B&W and by comparison, it's a smokin' fast machine.

8^)