On May 23, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

On May 23, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

Ya, this is the same thing I have, why do they make this bracket if you can't use them?

I haven't used any of these adapters, but it would appear to be a straightforward adapter with low chances of not functioning correctly? John says one of his works and one doesn't. That seems strange, but I think he's running two different OS versions, Tiger 10.4.11 & Leopard 10.5.8; and two different firmware versions, one for Tiger & one for Leopard? Obviously it seems like troubleshooting this problem isn't straightforward at all. I doubt the problem is with the adapter, unless you're also reporting yours doesn't work correctly?

I'd suggest try "cross booting" the two Macs using Firewire Target Disk mode booting. This way you should be able to boot the working G4 Tiger Mac using the non-working Leopard system from the G5; and also boot the G5 with the Tiger system from the G4. This will tell you if the OS is responsible for the non-functionality. If the two cards are identical, but have different firmware, you could try switching them, which would be easier than flashing them again, and this would tell you if the firmware was the issue.

You need to cover all the possibilities, with two OS versions and two firmware versions there are four possible combinations. Knowing which combinations work, and which fail would probably nail down what the true issue is.

I have Tiger and Leopard on both machines. The external WD works on the G4 both Leopard and Tiger it seems to power on the G5 but not mount. I have 3 Hitachi 2TB drives on the Seritek 1V4 card in the G5 and they all work in Tiger and Leopard. But the WD external won't work It leaves only the SATA to eSATA bracket in my mind as the weak link.

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda USA
From TiBook 800