On 05/24/2010 12:17 PM, killajay41889 wrote:
Hi im new to mac and i got a old G4 for 20 bucks and it works okay but
im really looking into upgradeing the cpu for something with a bit
more juice is there a way to do so

Sure, go to Otherworld Computing and select your version of Quicksilver to upgrade. Then you'll get a list of the various upgrades that you can do for that model.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Models.cfm?TI=3339

You should also max out your RAM as well, with as much as your model will take.

But you should also know, and you will see once you get to OWC, that a fast CPU upgrade can cost more than it would cost you to just go ahead and buy a more current model Mac. Even if you upgrade the CPU in that Quicksilver, you'll still have a G4 PPC, just a bit of a faster one. There's absolutely nothing wrong with PPC, mind you. I have seven of them myself doing various chores on my network, but they will never be able to run modern software written solely for Intel based Macs.