On May 31, 2010, at 9:59 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

>> Try rebuilding the mailbox. (Mailbox > Rebuild) Re-installing the system
>> does nothing to fix this.
>

> Rebuild fixed it but it sure is a wierd ting it seemed to take forever to do
> anything. No progress indication and then after about 15 mins it was all
> there.:-) What does rebuild do? does it show progress while it's working?

What you see in your Inbox (at least the top pane) is actually not your mail,
but an index of that mail. As mail is delivered, read, moved, or deleted, that
index is altered to reflect the current state of your mail store.

These indexes can get out of sync or corrupted (they're being written to almost
all the time so any sort of hiccup that affects disk io or power can mess them
up.) This happens more often with IMAP indices than POP in my experience, but
in both case the fix is simple, just trash the index file and rebuild it by
scanning all your mail. The size of the mailbox will directly affect how long
it takes, obviously.

To see what's going on, and get an indication of the activity, open the
Activity window in Mail.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona