On Jun 10, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

> In my opinion an A&R (archive & reinstall) isn't the most efficient way to
> solve a System that won't boot. Assuming the System won't safe boot, in my
> opinion, the most efficient way is to boot from an alternate source such as
> an external HD, or another Mac using Target Disk mode to mount the HD on the
> problem Mac, and then reinstall the latest Combo Update targeting the
> unbootable System.

This requires having either an external bootable OS X drive laying about, or
another PPC Mac I can take out of service to do this. Having neither, I opted
for the A&R. It takes longer, but I can ignore it 99% of the time. I know that
this mac has always been 100% stock, so the A&R is the way to go.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona