Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Bruce Johnson
 >     You don't do computer support for ~600 faculty, staff and students,
    in addition to the myriad mailing lists I'm on.

    You would not believe what some folks consider acceptable for
    'professional' email correspondence. People do things like pick
    ornate script fonts at 8 points on floral backgrounds to send
    official email, and embed page-wide  animated gifs' of stupid little
    smiley blobs doing the wave in their .sig

    <http://msnemotions.org/emoticons/1572.Smiliey-Wave.html>

    So you see it in every....damn....email you get from them.

So faculty puts this in their requests for IT service? Jeez !

I will ask the JMC IT guy if he get's these. I would question the credentials of an instructor or prof who used hokeyness in academic communication. I have not seen it in messages from faculty here. But then I would expect Journalism and mass communications faculty to know better.

You have no idea what a faculty IT person sees each day! How about someone who can't print, because their printer is turned off! The head of an English department who uses the above described e-mails and wonders why no one responds (They can't read most of what is there because the font color blends in with the background), and there fore sends out more and more e-mails, and then complains that her e-mail is not going out. But lack of computer skills is not the only place where higher ed faculties shine. How about an English department head who cannot spell? The lack of computer skills are not so hard to deal with, when you comsider what you could be having to deal with. Peace, Dennis