On Jun 15, 2010, at 2:53 AM, mlsimm...@aol.com wrote:

CompUSA lists a "Masscool XWT-RC061 3 Port SATA PCI Card - 2 internal SATA, External SATA, 1.5Gbps Support" for $20 ---it says The board provides a 32bit, 33/66 MHz PCI interface on the host side, fully compliant Serial ATA ports on the device side to access Serial ATA mobile storage devices and standard media such as Hard Disk drive, floppy disk drive, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, etc... 3 Serial ATA port (two internal and one external), Has anyone had any luck with using this or any other generic cards on a quicksilver running Tiger

This card appears to have significant problems in Windows, so it's very unlikely it will perform well in OS X. It appears to use a VIA chipset. The biggest problem I foresee on a Quicksilver is that the card won't be bootable, you need a card with Mac boot ROM, so most PC cards that "work" under OS X are strictly for storage only, they can't boot under normal conditions. This card seems to be a RAID card, meaning that individual HDs aren't useable as separate drives. I don't think this is a good solution for a PPC Mac.

The only cards that I'm aware of that have the PPC Mac boot ROM are the Firmtek cards and perhaps the Acard? There are cards like that Sonnet that are rebranded Firmtek cards, there may be others, but be sure you can boot IF you need to boot. If you don't need to boot, Silicon Image cards have Mac support and are very reasonably priced, but they won't boot on a PPC Mac.

I'm not sure, there may be a way to set a boot flag in Open Firmware to specify a non-bootable PCI card as the boot device, but this is something I've never done, but I am aware that it's within the realm of possibility. This would enable non-bootable cards such as the Silicon Image if possible.