> I believe the easy workaround is to use the "special" G4 firmware if
> you're using a G4 PPC Mac?

I would like to confirm the FirmTek SeriTek SATA card firmware
"retrograde" for G4. I recently purchased and installed a SeriTek 1S2
from OWC for my MDD Dual 867. The system would boot and work, but
would eventually hang with a spinning ball, regardless of the "Put the
hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"  box being checked or unchecked.

Checking with FirmTek for possible firmware issues I discovered the
statement below, which they confirmed via e-mail. I installed the
suggested firmware version and have had no more issues. You'll need to
boot from a drive -not- attached to the SeriTek card to install the
firmware.

Here is the statement from FirmTek and link for the firmware:

PowerMac G4 Firmware
PowerMac G4 users should install firmware version 5.1.3 found below.
Version 5.1.3 is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 and will work
better with PowerMac G4 configurations. Users with multiple FirmTek
cards mounted in a single computer must install the same firmware
version on all cards to avoid conflicts. When modifying firmware it is
best to only have a single FirmTek card installed in the computer.

FirmTek SeriTek1S2_513.zip Firmware <http://www.firmtek.com/download/
SeriTek1S2_513.zip>