Thanks to everyone, I guess that I should have added on the first
post,
I can make "CD's" that play in my Saturn Vue, they also play on our CD/
DVD player in the bedroom and they play on my G4 tower, on my wife's
Lampshade G4 iMac (10.5) and on my 1 year old Snow Leopard Macbook
intel,  so those that have concluded that I've used DVD disk I can
assure you that I've picked up the correct stack of platers, The CD -R
are made by CompUSA, and are 700MB single layer units. My DVD's are
made by HP and are also single layer DVD +R inkjet-Printable so
there's no mistaking the two.

As far as replacing the Toshiba SD-6109C, the unit is an integrated CD/
DVD player and amplifier and is the central piece of all items in our
home system. The cost of replacing this unit would be in the
neighborhood of about $500 so I can probably burn through a lot of
CD's before it will be cost effective to replace the Toshiba. If I had
the room I guess that I could get a small unit and plug it into the
Toshiba but I'm not sure if there are any inputs not used on the
Toshiba.

I guess that I should add that I've been working on and with computers
for about 40 years.

Thanks for everyones help, perhaps I'll try using the iTunes
application again. This time I'll see if I can make it burn at a
slower speed. Maybe I'll try burning on the G4 iMac Lampshade,

Oh I forgot to mention that I've tried using iTunes with the G4
running Leopard 10.5 and iTunes on my Macbook running Snow Leopard
10.6 and none of the CD's will play on the Toshiba.

Cheers
Harry
San Jose, Ca