At 22:44 -0400 6/27/10, Richard Gerome wrote:
   I think that is the problem??? Crossing between OS 9 and OS 10 won't work...

You have found the reason I downgraded from 10.4 back to 10.3.9. But in my case
it was compatibility with my SE/30 file server running OS 7.5.

In OS 9.1 on this 8500 under the File Sharing control panel there is an option
to enable file sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP. If checked OS 9 enables
Apple's version of Shareway (Open Door Software) which you need for 10.4 and
above. There may be an extension that you need to have present.

It's not real file sharing but you can use Stairway's NetPresenz on classic OS
back to at least 7.1 to allow FTP and some HTTP operations between any MacOSX
and older systems. Unfortunately Apple's Finder-based FTP won't permit uploads
even with name and password but Terminal.app or some third party FTP client
(Interarchy zB) will work. NetPresenz also lets Linux machines communicate with
classic Mac OS.

Another thing I do with this 8500 is to log in to OS neXt using "MacSSH PPC"
which gives me terminal access to any neXt machine in the house including the
lady's new iMac.

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.