On Jul 9, 2010, at 9:23 AM, john CARMONNE wrote:

> I have tried sending them to myself and as the recipient when I open the mail
> the PDF blows open.

It doesn't "Blow Open", any more than jpegs do. Check the attachments list, it
will show them all. And if you drag that pdf from the mail message to the
desktop you'll see that it saves it as the pdf file.

> I don't want every one in the next cubicle to see the PDF until the recipient
> does. This seems to be a new occurrence. Also I think it's mostly on my MBP
> 10.6.4.

I recall seeing PDF's in earlier versions of Mail, but it may be a 10.6 thing.

In any case you have NO CONTROL WHATSOEVER over what is seen on the recipient's
mail client, so the fact that you can see it when you open the email has no
bearing on whether the recipient can.

(Also, as far as sending .zip files, be away that a LOT of companies block .zip
attachments entirely; they're mainly used these days to send malware. We block
'em entirely.)

As Len said, OS X displays one-page PDF's automatically in Mail. If you want to
absolutely ensure that the recipient doesn't have them open 'prematurely', make
a pdf of a blank page (open Text Edit, don't type anything, and go to print,
click on PDF > Save as pdf.

Then open your pdf to send in Preview, enable to thumbnail view, and drag your
one-page blank pdf into the thumbnail view after the content of your pdf. Save
the resulting two-page pdf and send.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona