At 9:03 AM -0700 7/18/2010, Bruce - in Orlando wrote:
500 mhz Pismo running 10.4.11

Safari

What version of Safari?

What plug-ins, add-ons, inputmanagers have you insalled?

Every time I try to get on the internet, it opens the first couple of pages, then when you try to go to the 3rd or 4th page it freezes, with the progress bar just about at http://.

Have you tried clearing Safari's caches?

Have you tried removing all those plug-ins and such?

Is there a specific URL involved?

At that point, if I try to give up and quit Safari it gives me the infinitely spinning ball, with the result that I must force shut down the computer and start all over again.

option-click on Safari's icon in the Dock - then you'll be able to force quit it.

Since you've done these forceable shutdowns,,, run a Verify Disk pass with Disk Utility on your boot and other disk volumes to make sure you didn't corrupt anything.

I have tried replacing the Airport card (since I have a few of them
laying around), and reinstalling Safari.  No luck.

Why would you do that?  Are you haven't other network related problems?

Given the information you've provided -- a single app freezing -- replacing the airport card is kindof like swapping out your car engine because the neighbor's kid puked in the back seat. And reinstalling Safari? sigh. That's like replacing the car's tires because of a problem with the windshield wiper.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.