On Aug 4, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Mark Sokolovsky wrote:

> Hello, everybody.... I have an external 2.5" drive sitting inside my PM G4
> plugged in through USB 2.0 (A PCI card) and normally, whenever I transfer
> things between the Main system HDD and the external 320GB HDD, the transfer
> speed is literally 500Kb/s. For some reason, yesterday, when I restarted, the
> External HDD hot-wired itself, and sped up the file transfer speed to 690MB/s
> for some strange reason. This only works between the main HDD and the
> external drive. One day I was copying a 100MB Mac OS 8 ISO from the main HDD
> to the External HDD and it took about 27 minutes. The next day, I restarted,
> and I copied the ISO of Kubuntu 10.04 from the network to the system's main
> HDD, and that took about 3 hours. I then copied the ISO from the HDD to the
> External drive, and it literally took 1.2 seconds. I verified the image and
> i'm not lying, something in there is hotwired. I was able to copy a DMG image
> of Leopard (Which BTW is 7.8GB in size!) for the use of my Virtual Q emulator
> system in about 8 seconds.
>
> So tell me wise users of Lemlist.... I didn't do anything to hotwire the
> machine to do this, and I was able to copy a 7.8GB file in 8 seconds... how
> is this possible through USB 2.0?

It isn't possible.  USB 2.0 has a maximum transfer speed of 480mbps which
translates into roughly 50MB/s maximum theoretical speed.  In actual practice
the speed cap is around 35-40MB/s.  In addition, the maximum bandwidth of the
PCI bus is 133MB/s between ALL slots in the system, this means that your
transfer speed from your main internal hard disk is part of this speed.  Even
over a gigabit connection or between 2 SATA II hard drives, you can't copy a
7.8 GB file in 8 seconds.  Methinks you made an alias instead of actually
copying the file in question.  It isn't possible to copy a file that large in
that short of a period of time through ANY interface in your computer.  In an
Intel Mac with superfast RAID arrays or something, perhaps, but not a G4 of any
shape, form, or fashion.