Thanks, I think I'm getting closer.
I read earlier about a 4.28 firmware update, but my Mac already says
4.28, so I always thought that should be all I need. Now I found more
indications on the web that Sonnet made a modification to it and the
reading should be $0004.28f1. So I'm going to try that out.
Fortunately, they still have the downloads available.

>From a search on the web, I get the impression that most G4 processors
don't have a temperature sensor, so I'll have to live with that. But I
found that thermal paste isn't expensive at all and I'm going to put
that on.

Maybe OT, but why do I have such trouble finding posts on this list?
I search for "digital audio doesn't recognize sonnet" (the title of my
latest post) and no results!?
I search for "temperature monitor" and no results?
Or is the index only updated every once in a while?
(In my profile, I don't see my latest post either.)