On Aug 22, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Yikes owner wrote:

> Hello to the group!
>
> I currently am running a 400mhz Yikes G4 with a 1GB ram with the stock
> ATI video card.   I'm amazed that this computer is still viable for
> everyday casual use, 10 years after we first purchased it.  But I
> don't like how it handles you tube and other streaming videos, the
> video is very choppy while the sound is fine.  The computer is hooked
> up to a 6Mps DSL via ethernet. Will upgrading my video card to a
> Radeon 7000 or 9200 take care of this problem?  BTW, I'm not
> interested in 3D gaming just smooth streaming video.

Choppy video on slower computers is due to the modern requirements for YouTube.
 They use a newer version of Flash which is more compressed with higher quality
than older versions used to be.  The downside to this is that you need a faster
computer to play it back.  I've found that for YouTube to play back fairly at
all, you need at least an 800 MHz G4 AND a Core-Image capable graphics card.
The newer iterations of Flash use the graphics card for decompression, and
anything less than Core-Image compatible will cause the CPU to have to do all
the word.  The result:  a glorified slideshow...

The bad news is that with the Yikes, you're VERY limited with what you can do.
CPU upgrades fall short on speed and processing power and due to the lack of an
AGP slot on the motherboard, you can never have Core-Image or even
Quartz-Extreme graphics.  Unfortunately there's not much you can do except
upgrade to a newer machine.