I've got a printer plugged into my usb hub... I power that mac down, I get no printer on the other macs on my network? so can I plug another mac into that usb hub without problems?
Hmmm. As I understand the term "USB hub," it is a device that breaks a single host port into several subservient ports. The ones I have all have a cord that plugs into the host machine USB port and then devices plug into the hub ports. It seems to me that it is not designed to share the ports among several "hosts" as you would seem to be attempting.

When you power down the host Mac, the ports become "dead" as the host is "dead."

Sounds like you need an ethernet printer sharing device if you want the printer to essentially "stand alone" regardless of which Mac is "down" at any time.

I use a "USB 2.0 Manual Switch Share Hub". It allows the use of two computers to share up to 4 USB devices, in my case an inkjet printer, a laser printer and a scanner. I found mine for about $15 two years ago. It has two buttons on top, one for each computer, push the appropriate button and that computer has access to the devices. One or both computers can be running. Access to USB devices simultaneously is not possible. I can print/scan with one computer then switch to the other no problems. No software/drivers needed, just plug it in (including power cord) and it works. Hope this helps.

Have the best day yet,
mark ray
bluellama...@embarqmail.com