At 5:08 PM -0700 9/3/2010, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
Mac mini in the living room w/ external 500gb (iTunes library on it) hardwired to the network via cat5

I have a mdd, g5 powermac, g5 imac in the office. Each machine is named specifically different as not to conflict with any other and all are hardwired to the network via network switch.

Here's the fun part.... when the mini is booted up, the "Computer Name in the sharing prefs folder (system prefs) changes from "Mac Mini" to "Mac Mini (2)" ??? I've changed this computer name various times only to have it do the (2) thing over and over again? normally this wouldn't be a big issue but I hate having to type my user password in every time it does it. any clues as to why I keep getting the (2)?

Something somewhere has the name stuck in a cache.

Turn off file sharing.
Reboot.
Set the name and turn on file sharing.

If it does it again, check your system log - there will be information there about the name change.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.