On Sep 19, 2010, at 8:40 AM, John Carmonne wrote:

1. set the jumper settings (Seagate hard drives) to master ie
( |: : : : ) and slave ( : : : : )
Or,

2. set the jumpers to ‘cable select’ ( : |: : : ) on both?

Sorry but a lot of conflicting info around.
I would try cable select on both, all that maters is if they work. My PM MDD uses cable select throughout and I also use cable select on my Cubes.

Either will work, but be consistent.

Apple implemented the HP/Compaq patent for cable select, but only part of it ... the part which is executed at power-on. After power- on, it is behaving as Master/Slave, but as we all know, Master and Slave are not that at all ... they are peers.

I always set my drives to Master (for the last and first drive) and Slave (for the next-to-last and second drive, if present).

The optical drive is also on a cable select cable, but it is set by Apple to Master.

Whenever I install an additional HD in the Zip carrier, it is set to Slave.