James Morgan wrote:
I bought one MDD G4, found I needed a second one, bought the second one a couple or three months later. Thereafter I used them both, side by side, rather heavily. So both received virtually the same use and they are almost the same age.

    I put in new battery backups to address the possibilities you raised.

Some have suggested that the 400 W power supply was brought out as a quieter system to address G4 noise complaints?

I am considering scrapping these G4's because used power supplies on eBay are costing close to $150.00 with shipping. These power supplies have a poor service record and a used one is a risky investment. I presume that new ones are going to cost more than the G4's are worth? National Ram Electronics will repair G4 power supplies for $90.00 each and that seems to be the minimum cost to put the G4's back in service.

Or you could convert generic ATX PSUs to work:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICg592xJTg

HTH

Ted