Since the issue of MDD G4 power supply problems has been discussed on this forum I wanted to report on my experience. I had power supply failures in both my dual 1.25 MHz MDD G4's. Symptoms were occasional failure to start progressing to more start failures and then to the computer quitting while it was running. Pushing the start button on the front resulted in a light that went out with no start.

After considering several options I decided to take the power supply out of both computers and send them to National Ram Electronics at Alpine New York for repair. They charge $89.00 for repair. Cost me about $14.00 to ship the 2 power supplys and they paid the return shipping. They have a one year replacement warranty. They also sell a reconditioned power supply for $149.00.

I got a fast turnaround and both units are back in the G4's and working good as new.

Used G4 power supply units go for about $100. on eBay and there is the risk that a used one is nearing it's failure date.

I installed an extra fan in both G4's because this computer was designed to move lots of air and, responding to complaints, Apple came out with a firmware update that slowed the fans down. I'd rather have a little extra noise than overheating.

Both the 400 watt and the 360 watt power supplies will work in any MDD G4. I have one of each, they are both 24 pin, and I don't see any difference in them.

        Here is the link to the National Ram Electronics repair website:

        http://www.natramelec.com/

James Morgan