Thanks for the response John! And for the tip on a reputable repair outfit.

- Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Carmonne" <carmo...@aol.com>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 2:50:24 PM
Subject: Re: G5 power supply problems

On Oct 25, 2010, at 12:55 PM, schaf...@comcast.net wrote:

> I have a late G5 2.3 dual-core Power Mac that has run 24/7 since I bought it
> new in December 2005. The only enhancement it received was a 2nd 250 GB HDD
> and 4 GB of RAM. A month or 2 ago it died instantly (there was a gunshot like
> "pop", the screen went black and the power light was out 2 seconds later when
> I looked, and the ensuing stench made me not try a restart). My meager
> training screamed "power supply", but that's just my uneducated guess.
> Googling revealed a fault in my power supply that was covered by Apple until
> January 2010, and a call to Apple Care resulted in an "I'm sorry"
> determination of coverage. Apparently the purchase of $7500 of Apple products
> (w/o Apple Care purchases) in the last 8 years doesn't qualify me for any
> "special" consideration. OK. My "local" (4 hr return trip) Apple Store was
> unwilling to let me discuss anything with a "genius" and just wanted me to
> bring it in. The closest Apple certified repair center (about the same
> distance) quoted a flat labor fee of $95 and a "new" Apple part cost of
> $400(!?). A relative Apple tech who works for a WA State university said an
> exchange from Apple would be $150, so I presume this would be a refurbished
> unit.
>
> My questions to anyone out there are:
> 1. Has anyone else with the latest 1000 watt power supply had a failure on
> the G5 PM?
> 2. If this power supply has failed (seems likely to me), what are the odds
> that logic board, drives, memory, etc are OK? I used an external FW drive and
> it works fine w/my G4 PM (saved my bacon!!).
> 3. Anyone have an opinion, for my purposes, whether I'd be better served by
> an Apple store or a cooperative 3rd party?
>
> I want my beloved child back! Any help/advice from those who know better than
> I would be MOST appreciated! 8^)
>
> TIA
>
> - Peter
>
> G5 2.3 dual-core, 4 GB RAM, 20" Acer LCD, 250 x2 HDD running SoftRaid
> (mirror) running Tiger 10.4.11.
> G4 MDD 1.0 dual "wind tunnel", 320+80+80 HDD running Tiger 10.4.11.

I and some friends of mine have trusted our heavy lifting to Brian at DT&T
Service in Fremont CA for a couple of years, They're honest and very fair
priced plus fast turn around with a warranty. I always get my money's worth and
extra.

http://www.dttservice.com/services.html

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda USA