On Oct 26, 2010, at 6:52 PM, Ashgrove wrote:

On Oct 26, 4:34 pm, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:
The only concrete example I can think of is at the Intel introduction where Jobs stated that the PowerPC was definitely going to be supported through the next OS version, which it was. 10.4 to 10.5 also took a lot longer than previous iterations of OS X. No one official has said anything one way or another about 32- bit Intel systems not being supported in 10.7. All we have to go on is rank speculation and rampant paranoia.

Probably guilty of both. But I still think it's going to happen.

For what it's worth, every Mac OS X release after 10.2 "Jaguar" (arguably the first viable release) has cut off support for some systems supported by the previous version. 10.3 "Panther" requires built-in USB (i.e. NewWorld), 10.4 "Tiger" requires built-in FireWire, 10.5 "Leopard" requires G4 or later, and 10.6 "Snow Leopard" requires an Intel processor. If 10.7 "Lion" supports every system supported by its predecessor, it would be the first time a successor to a viable OS X release did so.

I'll wager that Lion doesn't support Core Duo systems.

Josh