Gottick International wrote:
This is one of the older ones. Pre-intel.

All G5 computers are pre-intel.

Which G5 model is it?

On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:59 AM, AndersFager wrote:

I'm trying to get this iMac G5 to start from an installer disc in
order to format the new drive. And now I have a black screen with a
little blinking white square in the upper left corner. It feels like
the damned thing has gone Win 3.0 on me. What can be done in this
enviroment?

There were altogether eight different models of iMac G5. You did not indicate your specific model.

For my own iMac G5 (2.1GHz, 20", iSight), the Install Disc 1 includes its Apple Hardware Test. The AHT ReadMe file clearly states that "You may be able to start up your computer with Apple Hardware Test even if the machine will not start up under the Mac OS." You can access AHT by holding down the Option key while booting from the Install Disc.

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:g3-5-list@googlegroups.com> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

______
Anders Fager
Gottick International
www.gottick.com <http://www.gottick.com>