Title: Re: Horrible news for the troops in the field. IS the worl
At 12:08 AM +0000 11/9/2010, Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/education/apple-xserve-is-gone-is-os-x-server-next/4321

I don't agree with that article's off-the-wall speculation that Mac OS X Server is on the chopping block.  After all, aside from Apple providing dumbed-down interfaces, the real difference between the two OS releases is basically added open-source stuff.  As far as Apple's killing the XServe hardware,  well, that's pretty much the nail in the coffin wrt to keeping Macs in many businesses.  The trust is waning fast.

Apple's "recommendation" of using Mac Mini or Mac Pro are ok if you just need a one-off server for a small business and don't care about serious hardware/server features.

But for anything else, especially the enterprise?  It's insulting!  Replacing a 1U blade with a 6U that has NO hardware server features - no monitoring, no redundant power supply, and no hot swappable anything ???!!! That just doesn't even come close to cutting it.  (Yes, some components in Mac Pro are supposed to be hot swappable - but they're *not* when it's in an equipment rack, where you have to shut it down, remove it from the rack, open it, then play with the hardware...).

I saw today that Jobs gave one his crapo terse email replies, to the effect that the XServe just wasn't selling well.  HA!  Each time my clients have wanted them over the past few years, they've had to wait more than 30 days to get 'em!  Yea, that's a great way to sell product - have none available.  That way only the customers that really really really really want 'em will stick around.  Dude, you got a Dell!

My clients are budgeted to upgrade their grids in 7 or 8 months.  Since there will be no Mac hardware appropriate... we're now starting the conversion off Mac OS X to FreeBSD, so we'll be able to switch to non-Mac blades easily.

Looks like Dell is working with ARM; good potential there for some multi-core Cortex based blades!  The new ARM processors will reportedly do 40-bit addressing too.  Or maybe we'll go POWER.  I donno; haven't really started looking yet.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.