Michael,

The simplest, less convolute way to do this would be to set a single
user account for all with administrative rights but to set a password
that only the mom knows, and then scare her silly with horror stories
about people who delete stuff on their computers. It may sound
somewhat cruel, but there is nothing more dangerous than an
overconfident, computer illiterate person. Tell her that Steve Jobs
will personally come to her house and break her fingers, or something.
The kids will manage all right.

It's always useful to have a separate admin account that only gets
used if the user account gets messed up. And I would keep its password
to myself if I were you, knowing that you are most likely going to be
their IT guy.

Another scenario would be to enable fast user switching and set a non-
admin user account for each family member, so they can have some
privacy, although with parental controls strictly in place.

Just my two non-professional cents... :-)

HTH,

Felix