On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Stephen Conrad wrote:
>
>  Nov 30 16:21:45 steve-cs-power-mac-g4 kernel[0]:
>> USBF:721.937AppleUSBOHCI[0x240b800]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved
>> in 5 seconds on bus 25, timing out!
>>

> You should be aware that OHCI is USB 1.1, and you can increase you transfer
> speeds by a factor of 20x or so by purchasing a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card.
>
> I was told (by Apple and IIRC, people on this list) that I could find such
a card at Walmart. My local one cut the amount of computer stuff it sells.
You can find USB thumb drives, the odd USB HD and a few other things. They
stopped selling cards, RAM, etc. claiming they are not profitable.

>  Also, any ideas where I can get a DC5V power cord for a USB 4-Port Hub?
>>

> From Belkin website FAQ for F5U014-oe: It should come with a power supply.
> If the power supply was misplaced or lost you can use any power supply that
> is 5 Volts DC, 2.5 Amps and has a polarity of Center-pin-positive.

I got my Hub at Goodwill (it was gonna be tossed in the trash as they don't
sell computer stuff)

> Note, the general rule of thumb is a maximum of 500mA per device, so you
> can multiply the # of ports by 500mA (.5A) each, and add a little for safety
> just-in-case. I assume your hub has 4 ports, so 4x500mA = 2A minimum, and
> they recommend 2.5A, so that's right.

Only two of my Hubs are full.
1 has another hub plugged into it (with 1 USB thumb drive, this is the
POWERED Hub that has 2 bad sockets. And no, the power supply won't work in
the Belkin)
1 hub has a Digital Camera that is plugged in thus it doesn't take power
from the hub. The other digital camera has 3 AAA batteries (I checked and
they are practically new. I was told they will be drawn on for power unless
I remove them)

>  It is a Belkin Model F5U014-OE
>>

> It appears this is a USB 1.1 device, so you'd also need a new USB 2.0 hub
> for higher speed operation. You can get USB 2.0 hubs practically free
> sometimes, I've seen goofy things made in China for a couple bucks. These
> are probably without external power availability, but they work for anything
> with its own power supply, as well as all low power devices.
>
> -> It was free so I took it. Can still work with my older Macs, the ones
that predate my Smurf and Quicksilver.

--
Steve Conrad
Henrietta, MO 64036

"The time has come for mankind to grow up and leave its cradle behind; to go
forth and claim our place in outer space."
                   - Capt. Henry Gloval

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")