On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:20 AM, Tina K. wrote:

>> Applejack (like Diskwarrior) is a 'use when it's broken' thing, not a
>> maintenance thing...OS X is largely maintenance-free.
>
> I mainly do that to clean caches and swap, and to check prefs. Is running
> disk repair and permission repair as well harmful to the system?

Well, I agree with John Gruber, Repair Permissions is voodoo. It's a 10.2 fix
for a largely 10.1.5 problem; VERY occasionally it will fix a problem, but
those problems ONLY occur immediately after a system update

<http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/repair_permissions_voodoo>

If you find issues every time you run disk repair, something's broken with your
disk.

> But then I used to wait until I had a problem to run DW, now I run it about
> every three months to try and keep the directory from getting corrupted.

This is exactly my point. The directory shouldn't be GETTING corrupted. OSX'es
file system is robust and self-repairing.

I end up using DiskWarrior a handful of times a year, on all the Macs I
support, and in EVERY CASE where I've had to use it more than once in a short
time (weeks) on a computer the hard drive subsequently failed. As I said, I
treat my macs like dirt: I never do ANY maintenance on them at all, and I just
don't have these kinds of problems.

I also religiously maintain backups, multiple backups for important things
(like my pictures, home movies, etc...the stiuff that would be impossible to
replace), so if something breaks it's just a matter of nuke&pave and restore my
stuff. I've only ever had to do this ONCE for non-hardware failure related
problems...the ONE time I ran DiskWarrior on a perfectly good working directory.

To illustrate using the Standard LEM Car Analogy, what you're doing is the
equivalent of changing the oil, rotating your tires, cleaning your spark plugs,
adjusting your valves and removing and checking your head gaskets on the car
every time you fill up with gas, because you're burning oil and the
transmission makes a funny noise in third gear.

Apple did NOT contract with Lucas to make computers, and OS X was NOT designed
by the engineers at Lancia. Both hardware and software is much, much more
robust than your "maintenance" routine implies.

If you're having these sorts of problems on a continual basis, something is
WRONG with the hardware or your install of OS X, it's not "just the way it is."

Back up your stuff, wipe and re-install OS X, update it, and install your
programs back from the source (or the updated versions from the source) and
then restore your data. Create another user account, for testing purposes and
do not use it for anything but testing.

Then watch the console log like a hawk, and as/if problems arise, the first
step is to log in as the test user and see if you can re-create the problem. If
you can, then the problem lies somewhere in the System or Applications realm.

If not is specific to your user account and the problem lies somewhere in your
user's files, prefs, settings, etc.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona