I use the B setup.

I always thought you were supposed the B setup for the straight
through cables and one end A and the other B for a cross over cable.

My problem is with the connections.

I clip the wires down and from what I understand when you get a click
and the excess wire falls off you have your connection.

I have a little circuit tester which tests each pair in sequence. 1&2,
3&6, 4&5, and 7&8. If the little lights come on in sequence the cable
is good. If they are not in sequence its wired wrong. If one or more
of the lights doesn't come on there is not connection.

My problem is the most I can get is three of the pairs. I don't know
what I'm doing wrong. The wall connectors are a lot harder to get to
work than male connectors.

I've gone through an entire package of ten of these connectors and I
can't get any of them to work.