Well, Bill, the first thing I did when this G5 arrived was to install
two new 1 TB hard drives in it, and then I did a fresh install of
Leopard on them, and finally I got online and used Software Update to
take everything up to 10.5.8. It seems like if there was a driver for
the ATI card inside Leopard, it should have been there, but obviously
it wasn't.

All I can hope is that this donated driver continues to operate the
card as well as it's doing right now. Things seem perfect at the
moment, after several hours of using the Mac, (knocking on wood--my
head). At least I know that it was the card, or rather the driver for
the card, that was the culprit, and not the CPU or logic board or
anything else big and expensive. Which means if worse came to worse,
and the problem returned, a newer video card would cure it.

Thanks for the help!

Tom