On Dec 20, 2010, at 10:04 AM, Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:

> But upscaling  for a 23 inch screen leaves a lot to be desired. And this new
> to me term of Embiggering ( aka embiggering, etc) is just trying to get
> something that is not there.

'Embiggening', a slang term peculiar to one very small subset of people, aka an
inside joke. Ignore it, I was being a bit cutesy.

> If it is not in the scan or photo detail cannot be gotten out of thin air or
> thin pixels either.

You're correct, scaling does not convey any more detail.

However it's a better solution for a picture you do not have in the correct
resolution than letting the mac stretch it.

Here is the image I linked to earlier:

<http://dbdev2.pharmacy.arizona.edu/miscjunk/smallcownose.jpg>

Here it is blown up in SmillaEnlarger to screen size for a 27" iMac:

<http://dbdev2.pharmacy.arizona.edu/miscjunk/cownose_rays.jpg>

It's a little soft, a little grainy, but a lot better than just letting the Mac
stretch it.

For the purposes of having something pretty to have on my desktop it's
perfectly acceptable, imo. YMMV.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona