On Dec 28, 2010, at 11:32 PM, Sean Carroll wrote:

On Dec 26, 7:16 pm, Dale Hoffman <dh...@margnat.com> wrote:

I have two Sawtooths which I equipped with Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI
cards.
They support drives larger than 128GB. No Voodoo.
The cards extended the usefulness of these G4s.

I've looked at the Sonnet Tempo HD PCI card (part # THD-MW). A
question: What does "Bootability - Not supported" mean? Not (gulp)
what seems the most obvious, that you couldn't boot up from a drive
connected to it, right? That wouldn't be good. Especially after I was
so proud of myself for picking up on the fact that I'd need cables to
go along with the card.

Sean

I've been booting from these cards with no problem. Just specify startup disk in Preferences or startup with option key held down. I've never had problems with these cards - they are completely transparent. My choice of Sonnet brand has nothing to do with research into technical matters such as firmware. They were offered by a supplier I have been using for years - macsales.com (Otherworld Computing) - and I knew I would be able to return them if I had any problems. I've had two in operation on two G4s for at least 3 years.

Dale