On Dec 29, 6:18 am, "Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <shadowhun...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I just received a Yikes! G4 Mac, with 768MB RAM and a 433MHz
> processor. I would like some feedback on some recommended upgrades. I
> am planning on converting this system into a Linux server of some
> kind, preferably Yellow Dog Linux, and I've been browsing OWC and the
> only processor upgrade is a 1GHz G3 PowerLogix upgrade. Is there
> anything out there that's cheaper and would give me a similar boost in
> speed?
>
> Or would I be better off in just buying a Quicksilver? :P
>
> Thanks in advance!

If your needs are modest, a Yikes! will do as a file server. However,
a Yikes in general does not make a good file server. There are several
reasons for this. Firstly, I believe the maximum hard drive that can
be installed without add-ons is 120GB PATA drive. Second problem is
that the IDE bus on the Yikes maxes out at 33MB/s, which can be slow
for a modern hard drive. Your upgrade options are also limited. A PATA
bus by itself is an issue; the PATA drives still available tend to be
small and expensive. The fastest G4 upgrade I've seen for this model
is 500Mhz, though there may well be others available. As you've noted,
there is a 1GHz G3 available, which may be fine for a file server. The
controller configuration is also not ideal for RAID. If I had to
convert this to a file server, I'd put in a SATA hardware RAID card,
assuming I could find a Linux driver to support it.

I think anything you spend on this machine would automatically be more
than its worth. A Quicksilver 2002 would be a far superior investment,
since it supports large PATA drives out of the box.

Eric