On 2011/01/02 19:23, Kris Tilford wrote:
On Jan 2, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Cliff Rediger wrote:
I get an error message informing me that
"First Aid Failed! Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on "HD"
because the following error: "No Valid Packages"

I told George that he had "no valid packages", and he agreed, but we'd
still like to have his Mac run smoother.

Suggestions appreciated.

Repairing Permissions rarely does any good

Cliff, repairing permissions only fixes… permissions. It does not make things "run smoother."

When George tries to access something that he should be able to access, but cannot, then it is time to repair permissions.

Packages are stored in /Library/Receipts, it might be worth taking a look to see if the folder contains any packages (.pkg) or not. Perhaps they've been deleted along the way by someone who decided that they did not need "receipts".

Tina