Jane, do you have a backup image of your system?
What you write sounds like it's damaged:

1. the OS 9 drivers are there and I have started up in 9 before. But
it will NOT start up in 9 now. I even had to run Disk Warrior to get
it back to boot in 10.4. Everything else is working just fine.

2. I am using a LaCie USB external floppy drive that I have used on
this
computer before.

I would try that floppy drive on another Mac to see if it works there
-- but I guess you can't or you have tried that already.
And back up your data; the internal harddisk may need formatting or
replacement.