On 1/11/11 11:28 PM, tonycd wrote:
Hi. I have a Quicksilver 2002 G4 with an OWC 1.8 Ghz CPU upgrade. The
hard drive is a Seagate Barracude IDE 80 gig drive. It’s a few years
old, but has gotten only moderate use.

The computer is working perfectly, but I’m unable to back up the hard
drive contents by any of several different methods.

I’ve tried cloning the HD contents to my external FireWire drive,
using both Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper. In each case, the clone
operation starts but then stalls within a matter of minutes.

With CC Cloner, it states at the very beginning of the cloning
operation that “There may be a physical problem with the disk.” When I
check the option to continue, it runs for maybe 5-10 minutes, copying
maybe 2 gb or so, then freezes.

With Super Duper, it starts normally, runs 5-10 minutes, then states
that some particular file “can’t be read or written” and freezes.

With either program, I can’t opt to “stop” the cloning operation, you
can’t force-quit the program, and I’m forced into a hard restart using
the power button.

I tried running Disk Warrior, which detected very little out of the
ordinary, and Disk Utility, which found very little was amiss with the
disk permissions. Neither made any difference, and the cloning
attempts still failed.

Well, whatever that "very little was out of the ordinary and "very little was amiss" sounds to me like reason(s) why this drive is failing. Do you care to specify what exactly WAS out of the ordinary and even a little bit amiss?
The hard drive isn’t making any untoward noises, and the computer is
operating perfectly normally. But having irreplaceable old Classic
apps, family photos and business data at risk makes me really, really
nervous.

Could the problem be something other than the hard drive?

I don't think so. I'm usually the LAST person around here who will suggest that a fellow Lister with a malfunctioning item should go "buy another one" -- but in this case, I have to suggest it. IMO, your would-be backup drive sounds like it's fried. Dead or dying HDs (either external or internal) don't ALWAYS make weird noises -- the first one that died on me, which was my object "backups are important" lesson, ate 50,000 words of the novel I was writing with nary a sound or a sign until it was Too Late. A backup system is CRUCIAL -- this is a necessity, not a "toy," particularly if you have business data and "irreplaceable" apps of ANY kind.

Oh and BTW, I also just had to get a new external backup drive too -- MINE just dropped dead last week -- had its second failure within three months and I totally freaked! OK at least I had my flash drives but STILL... Finally got the new one in and the QS and Mini are all CCC'ed as of today; will CCC the iBook tomorrow.

Hope you resolve this SOON. It's IMPORTANT!

~Yersinia.