Sorry for this question about a non-PPC-Mac, but my friend’s MacBook
Pro running 10.6 couldn’t read his external harddisk and he asked me
to help.
I looked in DiskUtility which showed the drive but couldn’t mount it.
I guess the drive is failing -- I have to test more.

But the weird thing is that two other drives were shown, also
unmounted, which were not connected at all. And he doesn’t have such
drives even, he says.
My theory: maybe he unplugged those drives without properly unmounting
them, on one of his travels to exchange expertise and data?

And how do I get rid of them? Is there a cache or something to clean?
It seems his computer has slowed down because of this ghost drives.

Just to make sure: I’m talking drives, not volumes.