On 1/29/11 11:46 PM, Kris Tilford of ktilfo...@cox.net sent

> On Jan 29, 2011, at 9:27 PM, DLC wrote:
>
>> If I boot into OS 9 straight (normal), I will not get a screen to show
>> (remains black) - lack of HD activity makes me suspect that no booting
>> is engaged either.
>
> By "normal" I assume you mean selecting the OX 9 in Startup Disk?
> Since support for Classic ended at OS 10.4.11, there's a chance that
> Startup Disk in 10.5.8 doesn't handle OS 9 booting correctly? 10.5.8
> is unsupported for the Quicksilver.
>
> There's another way to select OS 9 or OS X by keyboard commands. You
> can hold the "9" key to boot OS 9, or the "X" key to boot OS X.
>
>> IF, however, I start up, hold left-shift key, and then choose OS 9
>> from the OS selection panel that appears, the unit boots into OS 9 and
>> operates fine.
>
> I think you mean the Option key rather than the left-Shift key. The
> Shift key gives a Safe Boot in OS X; and no extensions in OS 9. The
> Option key gives the bootable devices menu.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, how often do you boot OS 9? If
> you use OS 9 that much, it'd probably be better to install OS 10.4.11
> and use Classic emulation within OS X. As an added perk, Tiger is
> about 20% faster than Leopard on PPC CPUs.

Hello Kris (and Clark),
Thank you both for the input. Some clarification
€Yes, I meant the left option key to call up the bootable device menu screen
€No, I am not referring to Classic emulation within OS X 10.5
€If I call up the System Preference "StartUp Disk", and select OS 9, then
 "Restart" the unit will not successfully boot into 9 (black/blank screen)
 If I repeat the scenario, but add the left-option key gesture, the QS WILL
 boot up into OS 9
€The QS DID boot up off the OS 9.22 (universal install) CD (so that install
 of the OS was successful), but on the subsequent restart was treated to my
 "black screen of death"
€If this is consistent enough, I'll leave it as is - I'll have to acquiesce
 to the actual owner's wishes; if he really needs to get into OS 9
 consistently, I would back it down to Tiger, as (yes, I agree) it is faster
 on PPCs as you said, Kris. However, I have a sneaky suspicion that that
 would not solve the problem :-)
Am curious if the QS needs a certain enabler in OS 9 - were enablers needed
by this time (2001-02)? I seem to recall that the MDDs, in using 9.2.2,
needed a machine-specific extension/ROM image added to the System Folder.
In the end, I find this curious (and not obstructive), as when the unit IS
in OS 9, it runs just fine (as it does in OS X).
Thanks,
Dana