Hello again!

###################
# Specs:
#  Apple Power Mac G3 Blue & White (Codename “Yosemite”)
#    PowerMac1,1
#    Rev.1 system board (faulty CMD646 IDE chip!)
#  350 MHz G3 (PowerPC 750)
#  1.0 GB of PC100 SDRAM
#  32GB CF drive as main boot drive (using a CF-to-IDE adapter)
#  ATi Radeon 9200 PCI graphics card with 128 MB VRAM
#  USB 2.0 PCI expansion card
#http://lowendmac.com/ppc/blue-white-power-mac-g3.html
#http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_350_bl.html
#  Mac OS X 10.4.11
#  Mac OS 9.2.2 as Classic Environment
###################

I've just run Xbench on my G3B&W at work, and found it to be terribly slow
compared to other G3 B&W's with 350 MHz.

Here the result: http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=502694

My Xbench score: 2.70
Normal G3 B&W 350 score: 7 - 12

THE drawback is of course the CF card as the main hard drive. It slows down
the whole system and is the most responsible factor for this bad Xbench
result.

I've then read in this article:
http://lowendmac.com/musings/mm07/0912.html
that the second IDE bus, that is normally used for the optical drive, is even
faster and better than the first IDE bus.

Quote: “The B&W has it all over the beige: The system bus is twice as fast
(UltraATA), as is the hard drive controller - and the optical drive controller
is even faster (UltraATA 66).”

Is this really true? Or is it merely a misunderstanding, and the bus is just
faster compared to the beige G3?

I understand, that the
primary IDE bus (faulty CMD646 chip) was UltraATA=ATA-4=33MB/s
secondary IDE bus was UltraATA/66=ATA-5=66MB/s

Why on earth was the primary IDE bus slower than the second one, which is
“only” for the optical drive and the option ZIP drive?

And then, wouldn't it be much better to put the hard disk drive as IDE Master
and the optical drive as IDE Slave on the second IDE bus? In my case the CF
card wouldn't make much difference at a faster bus anyway, but the question is
just as a general thought…
On Rev.1 (Rev.A) B&W G3's one would additionally benefit from working around
the primary IDE chip data corruption bug…

Ah, now I know! Does the second bus even support booting?

I'm asking because I'm at this point considering to re-fit my G3B&W with a real
spinning disk aka HDD for the sole purpose of speeding things up again.

I liked the experiment with the CF card, but I'd have to get a faster CF card
and considering the prices right now I'd be better off with a used HDD (that I
have laying around here, but I'd have to backup the data first).

Suggestions, thoughts, comments welcome!
Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250