Wow, makes me want to go out and buy a ups right now.

On Feb 23, 2011, at 7:44 PM, smac0031 wrote:

SW Michigan got hit by a snow and freezing rainstorm Sunday. My power
went out and the next afternoon when it came back on my DA G4 would do
nothing when you press the power button.

I am currently running one of my "to the dump" computers, a dual
processor something or other.

I was able to test several of the components from the DA in this
Dualie.

First of all both HDs both Seagate Barracuda 7200 ATA Ultra's are
dead. I tested both of them on a firewire case. When powered up and
you hold them to your ear I can hear a very faint clicking, much
fainter than on normal power up. I found a seller on eBay that sells
circuit boards for these things. It looks like you need to match the
batch numbers on the big chips to my drive and have a torx screwdriver
and you can swap out the circuit board and copy the data onto another
drive.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there any soldering
involved? I've used CCC to copy drives before and I have another
program that I have used before. I don't think copying the drive will
be a problem. The seller wants $39 for these circuit boards.

I made a copy of each of these drive to a Seagate 500GB pocket drive
last summer. I am currently copying my iTunes files to a drive in this
dualie. This is slow. The dualie only has one good usb port and the
keyboard is plugged into, so this little usb pocket drive is plugged
into the second port on the keyboard. According to the progress bar
this has another 13 hours to go. I started yesterday morning. It said
31 hours when I started. I thought usb was faster than that, we are
talking 80GB here.

I tested the FW800/USB2.0 card in the dualie. When I did it would
power on and not boot. The dualie has a 100Mhz MB and the DA had a
133Mhz MB. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a problem. My conclusion
is that the FW/USB card is kaput as well.

I haven't tested the USB 2.0 hub. Seeing as how the card it was
connected to is most likely fried and my only usb ports are occupied
for the foreseeable future, whatever. I am not using my 2.0 keyboard
and I will test it with the hub. I am concerned that it might be bad.

So far, as near as I can tell the things that are definitely fried are
the power supply, the Sonnet Tempo Ultra ATA-133 card, the FW/USB card
and both HDs.

I still have 3 to the dump G4's. I was thinking about swapping out the
power supply from one of them to test the DA to see if it is
completely dead. I have a couple of questions. First, the DA has a
133mhz MB and I am not sure about the other G4's, I know they came in
both 100 and 133 flavors. Do they require different power supplies or
are they swappable?

Second, how involved is swapping the power supply?

Third, I've noticed that some of the power supplies plug into the
center and the others plug into the right side. How important is this?

Thanks,
If you want to email me off list, that's fine.

Mark Murphy