I'm not sure what the question is, really, but Apple has never made a (RRP)
$600 laptop.
If I was shopping for a new mac laptop today, I'd be after the 2010 13 inch MBP
(they look to be about $800 refurb right now, so I might leave it a while, or
shop around). Failing that, I'd go back a bit further and get one with the
9400m. Anything post-intel graphics would do me, and for that sort of money I'm
sure a deal could be found.

Isn't the new base MBP still only $999? Which is a bit shy of the $1300 I
assume you were going for