On 2011/02/25 08:11, Dan so eloquently wrote:
At 1:50 PM -0700 2/23/2011, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Feb 23, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Tina K. wrote:
Today I'm trying Safari and it's already up to 718MB, is this just
the nature of WebKit?

yes it is..some versions are better than others, but Safari luuurves
it's RAM.

There are some ways to (sortof) limit WebKit's annoying hogging, beyond
relaunching now and then.

Use ClickToFlash to hold Flash down to a dull roar - 10.0 and 10.1 have
some serious memory leaks.  Donno about 10.2 yet.

Use an ad blocker to hold other crap at bay.

Got those two. :-)

Turn off the Top Sites in the bookmarks window then reset/clear them.
That "feature" runs a thread that generates all those preview images.
Not only sucks up hd cache space but it makes Safari's vm grow by quite
a bit.

Watch and perhaps turn off "Warn when visiting a fraudulent site". That
"feature" verifies every frakking url you visit against google's hashed
database.  I've seen it cause quite a bit of cpu and memory usage on big
/ busy pages.  Not like we need protecting against windows
malware-infected sites anyway.

Clear your website icons and cookies.  Smaller databases = less memory
footprint.

Shrink your Bookmarks Menu.  Use folders.  Safari holds that whole thing
in memory, just to keep that particular menu responsive.

Fantastic suggestions Dan, they hadn't even occurred to me.

And finally, remember that OS X's memory manager is fairly passive. It
lets processes have and hold memory until someone else needs it. So you
can beat Safari into submission....  Just run something that steals all
the memory.  I find that opening two dozen big jpgs with
GraphicConverter does just the trick!  It forces Safari to outpage
quickly, then not page that stuff back in until actually needed -
perhaps hours later!  lol

Great trick to know, thank you!

On the subject of browsers, is there any logical reason that Firefox doesn't have kb shortcuts to switch between tabs? Even KeyCue doesn't show any. Every once-in-a-while I try Firefox again and I quickly remember why I don't use it. Why would it be missing such a basic feature?

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11

PB G4 15" HR-DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB VRAM 10.5.8

Mac Pro Mid-2010 2.8 GHz QC 6 GB RAM Radeon HD 5770 1GB VRAM 10.6.6