On Feb 24, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Dan wrote:

At 10:08 PM -0500 2/23/2011, Bill Connelly wrote:
I'm considering upgrading my Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1GHz, with a SATA PCI card (Probably Sonnet, since I cannot find Firmtek's).

I think a good quality SATA control is worth it. The performance is sweet. And you'll save a bit down the road as SATA HD prices get lower and lower and lower.

I decided to go with the Sonnet, as the price dropped to what I paid for my Firmtek Seritek PCI card I bought a few somethings ago.

Also went with a 1TB 7200.12 Seagate (ST31000528AS) because it was 1 step past the 7200.11 that had the firmware issue. Hopefully its as good a drive as it predecessors. Here's an amazon.com link to the drive I selected:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00272NHOK

I also think the Sonnet PCI card comes with SATA data and power cables, which the Bare drive does not.

One point I was after was whether or not the more advanced 2TB XT level Seagate was worth the $170 price tag, which I decided, for my hardware setup, it was not ... as nice a drive as it appears to be ... well, I almost wish I had swung for it anyway ... maybe when its price drops ...