On Feb 26, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Tom wrote:

Some of the movies I download off the net are in WMV format, and
QuickTime Player won't play them (I have QT 7.6.9 pro).

Doing a web search, I find third-party utilities that will do this
conversion, priced from $25 to $50, but hasn't anyone created a
shareware app that can do it?

Flip4Mac is the free QT plugin so QT Player can play .wmv:
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents >

VLC can also play .wmv"
<http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html>

You can convert .wmv files to something more Mac friendly at:
<http://media-convert.com/>.