On Mar 8, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Ronald Sweet wrote:

I suspect it's because of careless handling of the hard drives when I was working in the case. Apple's Power Supply Replacement Instructions (accessed from docs.info.apple.com/article.html? artnum=75312) tell one to disconnect the power cables from any hard drives, and to do this I had to remove my two drives because the power cable on the lower drive was socketed in so tightly. I suspect that I accidentally zapped the drives with static electricity. Or can someone think of a more probable cause?

Try replacing the ATA cable. You might have pulled too hard on it, and broken one of the many wires in it.

What must I do if I want to get this faithful old workhorse back into working order again, if in fact this is possible? Install another hard drive? If so, should it be a Serial ATA drive? And does that mean buying a Serial ATA PCI controller card?

Did you do OPT-Command-P-R on Startup to reset things?